USPS Mail Hold Instructions
You can put a mail hold at the Post Office if you are going to be away from your residence for a period of time. This is for when you go on vacation or need to leave town for other reasons. The mail hold at the USPS can last up to a month. For a longer period of time, you will need to forward USPS mail to another location.
The instructions on placing a hold for your mail is extremely simple. You can schedule this hold 30 days in advance or you can schedule it a day before you leave.
- Prepare your USPS mail hold online at https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/.
- Check your areas availability by entering in your mailing address that needs the USPS mail hold.
- Select the dates for which the mail hold will take place. Remember, this is for short term hold for a month or less.
- You will have the option of choosing a mail pick up at the post office or you can have your mail carrier deliver all the mail to your house when the hold has expired.
- List any additional instructions and schedule your mail hold through the United State Postal Service with the click of a button.
Frequently Asked Mail Hold Questions
What happens if I pick up my held mail before the scheduled end date?
The mail will resume as usual the next postal day. In other words, the mail hold will be cancelled after pick up.
Who do I contact to complain about a hold not starting or stopping?
A call to the USPS at 1-800-275-8777 will be necessary. The times to call are between 8 am and 830 pm EST Monday through Friday. Saturdays from 8 am to 6 pm EST are also available to speak with a real person.
Can I schedule a hold over the phone?
Yes! Call the 1-800-275-8777 to request the hold by telephone.
Are mail holds able to be changed or cancelled?
Certainly. You may do so at https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/.