USPS Form 1583 Instructions
Form 1583 from the USPS is to be completed by anyone who wishes to acquire a virtual mailbox rental. The form can seem intimidating to the novice, but it really isn’t so bad. Follow our USPS Form 1583 instructions for an easy and pleasant experience.
What is USPS Form 1583?
Concerning mail n the United States handled by the United States Postal Service, there are regulations on who can receive and handle someone’s mail. A designation of CMRA was decided. CMRA stands for Commercial Mail Receiving Agent. Form 1583 from the USPS is used to designate and authorize a Commercial Mail Receiving Agent to process your mail for mail forwarding.
What is needed for USPS Form 1583?
The United States Postal Service takes form 1583 very seriously. You may not just scribble any made up information and submit the form. The form must be notarized by a Notary Public. An ID is also required for processing the CMRA authorization form.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
- Student ID
- Work ID that is a Recognized Corporate ID
- Valid Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- Green Card (Legal Alien Registration)
- Voter Registration Card
- Current Lease or Mortgage
- Vehicle Registration Card
- Deed of Trust
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Insurance Policy for Home, Health or Vehicle
Unacceptable Forms of Identification
- Credit Card
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
How to fill out USPS Form 1583
Download the application for delivery of mail through agent here: https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1583.pdf
- Enter the date that you fill out this form.
- Enter the name of the person who is going to receive mail from the CMRA. A new form 1583 will be needed for different persons. If the additional spouse is listed, just an ID will be required.
- List the address that will be issued for your mailing service. Include the full address with any desiccators such as a suite number.
- This section will include the CMRAs name and address.
- Section 5 is a space provided for the spouse or family member’s name.
- The name of the applicant will be provided.
- A home address and telephone number of the applicant will be listed in section 7.
- The agent will write in the two forms of identification provided. One of the forms of identification will be a photo ID. Subject to verification.
- If the applicant is a business, name the firm or corporation.
- The business address and phone number will be given on the application.
- List the type of business that is receiving mail.
- If the applicant of mail forwarding is a firm, provide each member that will receive mail at the Commercial Mail Receiving Agent’s address. Verifiable identification from each member is a requirement.
- If the applicant is a corporation, the names and addresses of the officers will be required for processing the application.
- If the business name has been registered through a states business division, be it a new formation or trade name, you will list the name, county, state and date of registration.
- This section is for the Notary Public.
- The applicant will sign section 16. If the applicant is a corporation, an officer has to sign.
Postal Form 1583 Quickfacts
Review the questions below for further information on the postal form 1583 and it’s requirements.
Where can I find a Notary Public?
Most banks in the United States have an employee that is also a Notary Public. Two other options for Notary Publics are independent contractors in your city that will charge a fee or online services that will notarize your documents over the internet. Your best bet is probably just going to a bank or credit union and asking for their help with notarizing your USPS Form 1583.
What if I live outside the U.S.?
If you live outside the United States and need the service of a notary or equivalent, you may want to try the local consulate. Contacting an international law attorney may be necessary.
Do I have to list a business on form 1583?
A business name is not required if you are using the service to forward mail for an individual.
Is the form 1583 a requirement to get mail forwarded?
In order for a Commercial Mail Receiving Agent to forward mail to your location, you must submit the required form and documentation of your identifications.
Can I list children or adult children on the form?
You may list children in the same place that you list a spouse on the form 1583. If the children are adults, they must also submit two forms of identification.